Welcome back to our last term. It will fly by very quickly but we still have lots of exciting things to do. During the holidays Mrs Miller and I have both been doing some thinking about you and the way that you learn best and the way that we can improve our teaching to make your learning more effective. Mrs Miller went to New Zealand to speak at a conference called ULearn10 where she met lots of people and was inspired with lots of new ideas that she is keen to share with us. I stayed in Sydney but I read lots of teacher blogs and a couple of books that gave me plenty to think about. Mrs Miller and I are both really interested in learning and hope that you are too!
My question is what did you learn about during your holidays? I’m sure that if you think about it you have learned something in the last two weeks that you didn’t know before.
- perhaps you talked to someone new,
- perhaps you read an interesting blogpost or book,
- perhaps you traveled to a new place and learned something about it,
- perhaps you participated in an activity and learned a new skill.
We all learn in different ways and we would love to hear about your learning so please post a comment here on our blog and we can all see what you’ve been thinking and learning about
At the beginning of Term 2 all Year 5 girls set some learning goals that they hoped to work towards during the term. Some were short term goals and others were longer. Some were related to schoolwork and some were about friendship. In each case girls were encouraged to think about steps they could take to achieve these goals.
As the end of term approaches it is a good time to stop and think about what you have learned this term and to what extent you worked towards achieving your goals. As a homework task this fortnight please comment on this post (or write a post on your own blog). Reflect on your learning and write about the things that you have enjoyed and the things that you have found challenging. Think about whether you have achieved your goals.
Here are a few questions to start you thinking if you are not sure where to start. Answer them if you want to.
- Do you prefer to write fiction (stories) or factual texts (like the expositions we have written about homework and Antarctic tourism? And why?
- Do you like learning about new technology tools such as Glogster, Wordle and Xtranormal? Would you like more or less time on the laptops?
- Do you think the class blog adds to the enjoyment of Year 5?
- What have you learned about in Science lessons? Have the lessons raised questions that you want to explore further?
- Do you think you are getting better at using your time wisely in the classroom?
- What would you like to learn more about?
Make sure that you print a copy of your reflection and glue it into your homework book (at least half a page please). Perhaps your parents may also like to leave a comment on this post.
Mrs Miller, Mrs Munro and I look forward to reading what you all have to say. But right now I am off to reflect on my own teaching and learning in Term 2…