The Identity Game – is it multiple choice? or a game of chance?

Student reporters : Ashley F, Sienna F, Kayley, Grace, Mia M, Louisa, Holly M, Maddie and Imogen.FullSizeRender 83

In UOI we have been focusing on our central idea, which is, our identities are ever evolving. This means that as you get older your identity changes and evolves during your lifetime. We also have lines of inquiry around the central idea that help us understand it. The lines of inquiry are ‘Influential figures can serve as role models for us’, ‘Our beliefs, values and traditions impact who we are’ and ‘Our identity is shaped by our choices, actions and circumstances.’ There are also concepts around the central idea, which are responsibility and change.

To start off the unit we were given two photographs, one of an older generation and one of a more modern generation. Some of the questions we asked about the women were “What were her daily routines?” “What is her role in the family?” “Does she have a political opinion?” “What level of education has she completed?” and “What does she value?”

After answering these questions we then had to write down what our values and beliefs were. Some of the main points people wrote were Friends, Family, Home, Books, Food and drink, kindness and equality.

We also conducted an interview. We had to interview two people from different generations and we found out that they both had very interesting answers to the questions we had developed at school.

“I learnt a lot of things in my interviews including that my mum had a blackboard at school!” 

We grouped all the factors that we found in our interviews under the headings Events, Influential People and Circumstances.

We learned that your identity can evolve in many different ways. Our identity can change depending on your beliefs, people, life choices and circumstances and our own actions.

We also watched an amazing video about two men who serve as role models to the homeless and to the rest of the world. These men came up with a brilliant idea about doing the homeless people’s laundry for them, and it won them the young Australian of the Year award this year!

orange sky

We also learned everyone changes but sometimes we change slower or faster than others. We are all unique and different and have our own identity.

We continue to wonder:

How will your identity continue to develop?

Can you pick the major influences on your identity now?

What things will happen in the future to change your identity?

Who is in control of the choices you make?

5 thoughts on “The Identity Game – is it multiple choice? or a game of chance?

1. Hi, I’m Mrs R. a KS2 teacher in the UK. I will be teaching my class about blogging soon and will definitely be showing them this.
    An interesting topic of discussion!

2. Fantastic eye opening activity. I am a stage 3 teacher and this collection of activities are valuable.