Reflections on the break from school that wasn’t quite what I had planned…

On Monday 26 September when I woke up with a tummy ache I thought I had my usual school holiday illness. (This often happens to teachers because they work very hard for a term and the body says “relax” in the holidays). But things progressed and I had my appendix out on the Thursday, 5 days in hospital and now I am recuperating at home.  The point of this post is not to have you worry or fuss over me at all but I want to tell you what has been happening during the holidays when I haven’t been able to get out the door.

It is an amazing world we live in.  I was meant to speak at the ASLA conference with Mrs Miller on Tuesday but joined in with what was going on there via Twitter and edmodo. I would have gone to another great IWB conference called ‘See Share Shape’ on Thursday and Friday with 5 teachers from our school but again I could follow what was happening via Twitter from my bed. All this via my iphone.

As well as my own professional development needs being met I have been able to link in to what many of your have been doing in the holidays. I have done this in a few different ways.

• Our various edmodo groups have been visited regularly by a few girls who have been extending their learning through the holidays. Some of your have joined the new Global Classroom 4-6 group and have been introducing yourselves to students in the USA and NZ.  This is like an edmodo pen pal group with the aim of students getting to know one and chatting about things that are important to you.
  • My google reader keeps bringing to my attention the many students who are blogging regularly about what you are up to in the holidays; there have been posts about things we’ve done at school, reflections on your term and more.  All of this is unprompted by any teacher which makes me realise that you must like blogging and are using it as a tool to create your own learning.
  • I was thrilled to see many of you mentioned in the Blogs to Visit post at the edublogs Student Blogging Challenge.  This means that edublogs thinks that your entries in the variety of challenges on offer are good ones and are being recommended for others to read! Well done to those girls who have a mention.
  • Our Quadblogging buddies have also been busy reading and writing comments for us and I was delighted to receive this tweet from Mr Gagnon at Stratham Memorial in America. He said ” Whenever I want high quality blog comments from my class all I have to say is Australian style comments. LOL :)” That is great to hear that your comments have been so well written and are great examples of what comments should be.
  • The Blogger’s Cafe is continuing to receive many hits and comments from students around the world, as does our own blog here at year5rc

It is indeed an amazing, connected world in which we live.  I think back to my school holidays when I was in Year 5.  I probably didn’t go away, I might have gone to see a movie and had a friend over to play. Most of the time I would have been hanging out with my brother at home.  (Speaking of my brother look and see what he has been doing these holidays.) In 1970 we had a television, could listen to music on records or tune in to the radio. Don’t get me wrong these are good things to do as well and I would encourage you to go outside and play but in 2011 there are so many choices available to you. What I really hope is that Mrs Miller and I are helping, teaching and guiding you in sensible choices for a balanced and enriching life!  I look forward to seeing you all back at school for more creating, learning and growing together!

Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey, the world’s leading questionnaire tool.

6 thoughts on “Reflections on the break from school that wasn’t quite what I had planned…

1. Hi Mrs Thomas,

I am very sad to hear that you were very sick in the holidays and had to have your appendix out 🙁 I hope you have a speedy recovery and I hope to see you next week!

The things I did on the holidays…

First week: stayed home, went to the beach, went to Grandma’s and Aunts house for most days but I didn’t mind! I always have fun when I go to those places! 🙂

Second week: Stayed home, again, went to Grandma’s and Aunts house for most days except Friday, Saturday and Sunday. On Friday I went to this concert type thing with my friends and it was really fun and we bought souvenirs and everything 🙂 On Saturday and Sunday I went away and saw the War Memorial, Questacon and the old and new Parliament house.

I loved the holidays so much and I wish they could never end! Although I do love school alot 🙂

Hope you get better Mrs Thomas and I will be awaiting your arrival at school 😉

2. Dear Mrs Thomas,
    I am very sorry to hear that you have been sick these holidays and I hope you recover soon! Your post was a great example on how technology today can be used in so many useful ways. Especially when it comes to connecting and learning with people around the world. I did many exiting things on the holidays such as taking Emily up to my country place, taking a SWISH education course on cake decorating, a drama course at the art centre and going to the KCA (kid’s choice awards) Sarah. I hope everyone else had a good holiday!
    Sammy

3. Hi Mrs Thomas!
    I really hope that you are feeling better.
    We miss you so much at school, and it is not the same!
    We hope you can come back soon and fill our classroom with your great big smile!

Love from
    Jess

4. Hi Mrs Thomas,

I hope you feel better soon and come back to school to teach us next week. I don’t know if I have my appendix out or in. ???

Our quad – blogging buddies have reached 9 schools already! I have been going to the Blogger’s Cafe most of all the times we have done it.

I have joined the Global Classroom forum in edmodo and I am really excited to start getting to know and learning with other people around the world.

I hope you feel better soon!!! 😛

From,
    Laura

5. Hi Mrs Thomas

Are you feeling better? I still have my appendix in and not out. I hope you come back to school soon, it is not the same without you!

It is cool how much communication devises we have today! Our Quad Blogging Buddies have now reached nine blogs. I do not think we have four blogs anymore!!! The blogging cafe is really cool and interactive with other schools around the world!!!

We are welcoming our new principal tomorrow and we have to where our blazers for the ceremony. (I hope I do not forget)

Lots of love
    Phoebe =)

6. So sorry to hear that you were sick but I am glad that it allowed you the time to catch up on your digital connections. Even though it wasn’t what you expected, at least you got some rest:) Sometimes I end up working harder on my breaks then I do when I am teaching.

I think your students are doing a wonderful job with their sharing and discussions in the Global Classroom 4-6 Edmodo group. I am having fun reading them and learning about Australia. Wish my students were in that group but they are only Grade 3. We do have one question and I was wondering if someone in your class could answer it for me. What is the difference between Netball and Basketball? We saw it on one of our Quad Blogging blogs and asked them about it but they are not updating their blog so we are not getting an answer. Could one of your students leave us a comment to tell us the difference?

Feel better soon!
    Mrs. Schmidt from Pennsylvania, USA
    http://mrstinaschmidt.edublogs.org/