Year 5 students love Science!

At the start of our Science unit on Electricity I conducted a poll to see how my students felt about Science.science pollThe results were very encouraging. As we have explored electrical circuits, torches and light bulbs there has been a high level of interest. In the words of a famous Australian scientist “Why is this so?”

Science, in a primary school classroom, is hands on and fun. Even without knowing it the students are learning important skills and values. Last week after reading the story of Italian scientists, Alessandro Volta and Luigi Galvani, I asked the students to identify key characteristics these two scientists displayed. Then we generated a list of words to describe scientists. What did we find?light_bulb We found a list of words that could describe many of my students. Words like resilient, persistent, determined and courageous came up again and again. So are my students scientists? Of course they are! They are learning the value of questioning, reasoning, predicting and explaining. They are learning how to approach problems and how to react if results don’t reach their expectations. They are learning to be thorough and consistent and fair.
Scientific thinking seems to be a good model for how to approach life in Year 5. Perhaps that’s why my students love Science. They are learning values and attitudes that will stay with them and serve them well in all aspects of life.
What do you think? What do you enjoy about Science lessons at your school?

7 thoughts on “Year 5 students love Science!

1. Hi Mrs. Miller’s class,

I’m Emily from Pam’s class in Adelaide, South Australia. That sounds like loads of fun.

At the moment in science in our class we are testing bread. We have been able to taste 3 different types of bread and record the smell, what it looks like and all the things like that.

Our class is on Edmodo too and it is really useful !!

Keep up the great work !!

Emily

2. To Mr Avery

My favourite science experiment would have to be when I was 7. I used to get anything in my house and make ‘potions ‘ then after 2 months my parents found out and I was busted

From Chloe (a year 5rc student!!)

3. My favourtite science experiments are:

Making my own quicksand
    making my own slime
    making my own ice-cream
    making my own snow

you can find these on a website called sciencekids.com

4. Hello my name is Lauren,
    I do not really have a favourite science experiment but I have a favourite science experiment book which has great science experiments. The book is from the series The Surfing scientist, by Ruben Merman I think that is the name but the book has 40 cool science experiments that I recommend for people who like science like me.
    Lauren

5. Dear 5C,

I’m so glad to see that the majority of you love science no matter what you’re doing. Science is such a wonderful subject. It covers so many different things. If you wanted to learn more about electricity, that’s science. If you wanted to learn more about space, that’s science. If you wanted to learn more about earthquakes, that’s science. If you wanted to learn about weather, that’s science. When it comes to science, there’s something for everyone!

What’s your favorite science experiment you’ve ever done?

Your blogging buddy,
    Mr. Avery
    Plympton, Massachusetts, USA