It is time now for you to attempt to make contact with a child from a different country to you. Hopefully you will manage to connect with a child in the country you are learning about. If that proves too difficult though, you will need to choose a different country.
As we discussed in class there are many ways we can do this in the technologically rich world we live in now.
- Write a letter
- Comment on a blogpost
- Send an email
- Make a telephone call
- Talk to them via Skype
Your homework task this fortnight is to do this and to ask this child the following questions, plus any others you can think of.
What is your first name? Where do you live? What school do you go to? (obviously if you know these, you would not ask them)
Can you please tell me a little about a typical school day?
What activities do you like to take part in in your spare time?
You should also ask them questions about their national dress and food, as we need to start planning our menus for our International Feast Day.
Please remember that if you are connecting with a stranger through a classblog, that you must use the Year 5 blogging guidelines.
YEAR 5 Blogging Comment Guidelines
- Write your comment like a letter by including a greeting, content and a closing.
- Write a relevant comment that is related to the post.
- Do not reveal any personal information about yourself in your comment.
- Always read over the comment and edit before submitting.
- Compliment the writer in a specific way, ask your questions or add new information.
- Always use correct spelling, punctuation, grammar and spacing.
I suggest your opening statement is something like this:
Hello …….. my name is ……………I go to school in Sydney. I am in year 5 and I am …years old. My class is learning about different countries around the world. Please could I ask you the following questions about your life and your school?