Global Connections – making contact around the world

It is time now for you to attempt to make contact with a child from a different country to you. Hopefully you will manage to connect with a child in the country you are learning about. If that proves too difficult though, you will need to choose a different country.

As we discussed in class there are many ways we can do this in the technologically rich world we live in now.

You could-

• Write a letter
  • Comment on a blogpost
  • Send an email
  • Make a telephone call
  • Talk to them via Skype

Your homework task this fortnight is to do this and to ask this child the following questions, plus any others you can think of.

What is your first name? Where do you live? What school do you go to? (obviously if you know these, you would not ask them)

Can you please tell me a little about a typical school day?

What activities do you like to take part in in your spare time?

You should also ask them questions about their national dress and food, as we need to start planning our menus for our International Feast Day.

Please remember that if you are connecting with a stranger through a classblog, that you must use the Year 5 blogging guidelines.

YEAR 5        Blogging Comment Guidelines

• Write your comment like a letter by including a greeting, content and a closing.
  • Write a relevant comment that is related to the post.
  • Do not reveal any personal information about yourself in your comment.
  • Always read over the comment and edit before submitting.
  • Compliment the writer in a specific way, ask your questions or add new information.
  • Always use correct spelling, punctuation, grammar and spacing.

I suggest your opening statement is something like this:

Hello …….. my name is ……………I go to school in Sydney. I am in year 5 and I am …years old. My class is learning about different countries around the world. Please could I ask you the following questions about your life and your school?

10 thoughts on “Global Connections – making contact around the world

1. Hi my name is Win, I live in Thailand(Bangkok),I go to ISB. I do specials in the morning,like P.E, Art, Music, Library and languages. Then I go back to class and do writing. After writing I go to recess (play time) then reading and social studies. Then recess again and math at the end of the day.

At recess,(my spare time) I play soccer with my friends

2. Pingback: My place in the world | Challenge Yourself to Blog

3. Some of you may have left questions for Stella on my blog. She has moved to Australia and no longer keeps her blog active. I must remove her from my blogroll. Also I promised someone on our blog a student would answer their questions but I was on class release today, so will chase it up tomorrow.

4. Hello Sioned!

Thank you for visiting our blog! We’d love to Skype a conversation with you in the future!

Here are the answers to your questions.

Our class is located in Springfield, Illinois, USA. We are in 5th grade which means we’re about 10 years old.

Our school day goes from 8:00am to 3:10pm. We have an hour of math, reading, science/social studies, and language arts. We get an hour of specials each day (art, PE, music, and/or library). We also have 45 minutes for lunch/recess.

The weather outside is changing from winter into spring. We’ve had some nice days, in the 60’s `F. This winter we had two snow days off from school due to the cold weather and deep snowfalls!

We read several novels throughout the year. Our last book was Wrinkle in Time. Right now, each student is reading their own biography on famous Americans / world citizens.

After school, we are busy. We have homework most nights and most of the students also participate in sports or other activities in the community!

We hope this helps Sioned with her homework!
    Email our teacher, Mr. Lund, if you’d like to Skype our class!

-Mr. Lund and class
    dlund@chathamschools.org
    http://mrlund.edublogs.org

5. A message to Kate. We have left an answer under her comment question, although I see you didn’t ask us all the questions! If you want to ask more we will answer them.
    New Zealand

6. This message is for Charlotte because she asked these questions on our blog.

Q.1 Could you please describe normal school day?
    We arrive at school anytime from 7:30 till 8am. Some get dropped off by parents in cars, some bike to school. None of the children use public transport. We start school at 8am when we line up in the quad in class lines (a square shaped cement-covered area outside the classrooms.) The teachers greet us and give us any news or instructions for the day.
    8:00 We enter our classroom and unpack our bags, putting our bags outside in the passage. We hand our homework diaries to our teacher on her desk so that she can check that our parents signed and reply to any msgs. We read quietly till 8:15 while she does this.
    8:15 We have English class for 45min.
    9:00 We go to Maths with our old Grade 4 teacher, Mr Johnson for an hour.
    10:00 We have a tea break where we run and play or sit and chat to our friends.
    10:20 We return inside for an hour of Afrikaans (a South African language stemming from Dutch) with the Grade 6 teacher, Mrs Swart.
    11:20 – 11:50 We have free research time, this time is for us to do online/book research on any topic we like, study of finish work.
    11:50 On Mon, Wed and Fri we have an hour of either Geography/History/Science and on Tues and Thurs we have an hour of sport during this time
    12:50 we have a 30min lunch break. We bring packed lunches from home. The boys like to play soccer and the girls sit in circles and talk.
    13:20 We have either Life Skills, Technology, computers, Art or Music for an hour.
    14:20 Home time but most of us stay for an extra 30min homework period where we can ask for help with our homework.

Q.2 What are some of your favorite celebrations? (List them)
    1. Christmas!
    2. Easter
    3. New Years Day

Q.3 If you could pick one country to live in apart from South Africa what would it be?
    England, America and Australia were the most common answers the students gave.

Q.4 Do you have a school uniform? If so please describe it.
    Yes, In Summer it is a grey skirt or shorts with white shirt with a navy jumper. Black sandle shoes and white ankle socks for the girls and black closed shoes and grey knee length socks for the boys. Our teachers chose this uniform because its so easy to find in the shops it is the cheapest. Some of the girls try to get away with wearing pink hair clips and elastic hair bands but our teachers remind them that only navy is allowed. The boys socks are always falling down and drives poor Miss Tyler-Smith crazy. Every time we come in from break she says to the boys “Socks, shirts and laces, boys!”
    We are allowed to wear civvies (casual clothes) on the second last day of term, when we have our fun day/cake sale.

7. Dear Mrs Miller
    Am I allowed to contact my relatives in Wales? If so I will have the homework by Friday depending on who I e-mail.
    thanks Sioned